Monday, April 4, 2011

Where is next stop?

Just coming back from the service center, I got really tired. This is my first day being as a volunteer working with elementary school children. Kids are cute, but working well with them is not an easy thing. Most of their parents are immigrants just coming to US several years, so we need to help with their reading and english learning. I know only after couple of years they will be much better in this language, even much better than me, and also be farther and farther away from their original countries. Sometimes I admire them that they can come to this country when they are such young. They won't experience such huge language barrier as me, and most time the barrier is not the language itself but the feeling when you have trouble in communication. But other times I also appreciate this experience, it teaches me how to respect other people.

"Later, as I matured and travel around the country, there were the people who suffered because of the skin or class intone which they were born, or the way they had sex, or thought about it. And finally, as I have learned about the world, there are the folk on whom brutality descends because of their color, their native tongue, their religion, or the region of land to which their lives are staked."       -- Michael Eric Dyson

Before coming to US, I lived in a family with good living condition. I never thinking so much about race, class and such kind things. But now I can understand their suffering. When I read Guests And Aliens, I strongly approved some ideas in it.

"And for much of the twentieth century it has been recognized that refugees were unwilling departees, pushed by circumstances completely out of their control rather than by the desire for better opportunities in a rich country."      -- Guests and Aliens


Sometimes we can't choose our life. For example, I can't choose less credits classes for one quarter without thinking of the high tuition as a nonresident student; I can't choose a more interesting art major without thinking the language problem and if I can find the job or a working visa in the future. So as those immigrants, they moved from one country to another, but the irony thing is they still live hard doing low-wage staffs instead of changing their life into an ideal state.

I really love this topic about the migration. It brings me a lot of thoughts about my and my friends' life. I am excited with this trip going to Berlin. Even sometimes it brings me some troubles. Getting visas are really tough and troublesome. But anyway, do it and enjoy it! Come on!

No comments:

Post a Comment