Friday, May 6, 2011

The Edge of Heaven

I saw the movie "The edge of Heaven" tonight. At first I just wanted to find it out and see it during the weekend, but when I started it I found I can't stop. It's an amazing movie. I love it a lot.

When the movie goes to a part, where two men talk to Yeter that she should be ashamed with the work she do, and they talk like they are totally right and are superior to Yeter (but later you can find these two guys are not kind and very mean.) I found a little bit religion color in this movie. And then when Ayten is in the parade, and runs away to Germany; when Ayten says she fight for being equal, and humanity and education rights; when Ayten in the jail nobody care, but when her German friend is killed the government officers came to see her and get to know this case, I all take this movie as showing human's struggle. But until a point, I find some different. Nejat talk about an Islamism story that Allah let Ismail to kill his son to show his loyalty. And Nejat ask his father what he will do if he is told so. His father told him even though he betrays the Allah, he will protect his son. At that time I realize that this kind culture bring people something different, a special taste. Not only Nejat's father, but also Yeter and Ayten they have particular characters, according to their culture background.

And I chat with my friend after seeing this movie about the culture and religion in Turkey. She talk to me some background of this country she knew. And we also talked about a Turkey writer, Orhan Pamuk, who also likes to write novel in different lines. And as the Noble academy said:"In the quest for the melancholic soul of his native city, [Pamuk] has discovered new symbols for the clash an interlacing of cultures", a complicated culture always give tis people special content. I want to ending my blog with Pamuk's Noble lecture:


What literature needs most to tell and investigate today are humanity's basic fears: the fear of being left outside, and the fear of counting for nothing, and the feelings of worthlessness that come with such fears; the collective humiliations, vulnerabilities, slights, grievances, sensitivities, and imagined insults, and the nationalist boasts and inflations that are their next of kin ... Whenever I am confronted by such sentiments, and by the irrational, overstated language in which they are usually expressed, I know they touch on a darkness inside me. We have often witnessed peoples, societies and nations outside the Western world–and I can identify with them easily–succumbing to fears that sometimes lead them to commit stupidities, all because of their fears of humiliation and their sensitivities. I also know that in the West–a world with which I can identify with the same ease–nations and peoples taking an excessive pride in their wealth, and in their having brought us the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, and Modernism, have, from time to time, succumbed to a self-satisfaction that is almost as stupid.
—Orhan Pamuk

No comments:

Post a Comment