Friday, July 22, 2011

Pick Up the Memories through Vlog - Istanbul

Finally, I finished my presentation video today:) And my trip in Berlin is also on its way to the end. So I think it's the time to pick all my memories up.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhVDiJOvjMc

First Day - Starting Remembering
As I said in my video: "all memory starts from the Galata Tower." The first time I saw the birds flying around the tower, I felt like in a fairy book. And because of the light from the tower the birds look like lighting in the sky just like fairies. I asked my friend why those birds flying around the tower. She told me sometimes she can't understand an old city, especially such an ancient city like Istanbul. Mystery--the first impression left by this city. I can't understand the land I was standing on but I was deeply fascinated by it.
Then we walked along the street to our hostel, because our bus could't get into that street. The streets are narrow. Undeveloped is another impression in my mind. Even I got really tired after walking with my heavy bags, but I felt I love this old city. I was bored with the prosperity and noisy in different big cities,  I loved to stand on the spiral staircase and enjoyed this lovely quiet night in Istanbul. I was hugged by Istanbul's night.
Another day I was waked up by the loudly prey song. Then I had my first breakfast. Breakfast is so cute.  Three piece tomatoes, three piece cucumbers, an egg, black olives, cheese and bread. I love the bread in Istanbul. When I have meal in Turkish restaurant I can always get some bread in a basket on my desk. I love it because I won't feel so hungry when I am waiting.
After the breakfast we started to walk along the streets not far from our hostel. The buildings showed the totally different style, but some shop were selling the same thing as in US or in China, such as Starbucks, BBQ Chicken. The daytime of Istanbul looked so bright and clean. I love those architectures. Through the tour with Jen I believed more that this city have many stories and mysteries. Unlike Berlin people put all the old architecture as the treasures to protect, the churches and all old architectures are hiding in this city silently. You can always come across with many very old buildings as you walking.
I love ferrying to the Asian side. The water is so beautiful in the Bosporus. I can feel the difference between the European side and Asian side. I used to heard that some people love to work on the European side to make more money and live on the Asian side to save more money. And there are more mosques than those on the Asian side.
Aha, of course, I have to say something about the food in Istanbul. Food are so delicious. I love the our dinner at fish market. And Turkish delight and Turkish Tea are also worthy to try.

Second Day - Tour with Orhan
My memory about Istanbul start from the book of Pamuk: Istanbul: memories and the city. The most deeply impression left to me is "Huzun" in this old city. It said it's not from one person or one place, but everyone and everywhere of Istanbul you can feel "Huzun". But when I walked in some busy streets and went to some places of interest I never feel it. Until I started with Orhan to go to many different small areas and towns I can feel another style of people's life. They are unlike Grand Bazar or other places where always have many tourists. These places are quiet, and the streets there are not so clean. People are interested in us. They are showing us another side of Istanbul. Culture there are not display in the showcase, but present in people's life.
The tour at the top of Sapphire Tower brought us lots of fun. When I look the city from such a high level, I was shock by Istanbul. So many buildings! I can't image how prosperous it would be in the old era.

Third Day - Lecture by Didem
Never forget our topic--"Migration!" The lecture "Internal and Transit migration in Turkey" was given by Didem Danis in the morning. And in the afternoon we went to migrant association. I always heard people talk about "migrants" and know the difficulties in migrants' life. But this is the first time I get to know their real life and. The pictures and the reality talking by the people in migrant association let me understand Saskia Sassen's essay better:
Today immigrants appear as threatening outsiders, knocking at the gate, or crashing the gates, or sneaking through the gates into societies richer than those from which the immigrants came… But in fact they are partners…Refugees flows are also at the intersection of various processes. And for much of the twentieth century it has been recognized that refugees were unwilling departees, pushed by circumstances completely out of their control rather than by the desire for better opportunities in a rich country.
Like in Chandan's later lecture said: migrant is another word for racial. Because we want to avoid the racism, we generate another word to instead of it. I hope people can get to know about others and learn to understand and respect each other.

Fourth Day - Free Day! Amazing, Amazing and Amazing!!
Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia Church, Topkap Palace and Basilica Cistern are all amazing! They are standing there for telling you the stories about an era. That period is already past, but their achievements are living and walking with us.

Istanbul is so unforgettable!

No comments:

Post a Comment